Early in the year 1891, twenty Italian Brethren, led by W.Bro. Harry Passmore, a Past Master of Lodge Wentworth No.89,  petitioned the United Grand Lodge of New South Wales to form a new Lodge, to be called Lodge La Stella d’ Italia (The Star of Italy).  The petition was approved and a dispensation Warrant was issued empowering the Brethren named in the petition to meet as a regular Lodge and perform all the functions of Freemasonry in conformity with the laws and regulations of The United Grand Lodge of New South Wales, founded three years earlier in 1888. The new Lodge first met in September 1891.  During the early years of the Lodge, it was customary to obligate Italian candidates in Italian, whilst English-speaking candidates were obligated in English.  Gradually, the number of native English speaking Brethren increased. In 1904 the Lodge made application to The United Grand Lodge of New South Wales for the name of the Lodge to be changed to Lodge The Star of Australia. The request was granted and became effective in May 1904.  Following the change of name, all candidates joining the Lodge were obligated in English. When the call to arms resounded in 1914 and 1939, the Brethren readily responded and many joined the armed services, but the Lodge carried on in great strength with numerous regular and emergent meetings. Dispensation from Grand Lodge was granted to enable Brethren to attend Lodge without having to wear dark clothing during war years. Candidates were so plentiful in those days that initiations wee handled in regular and emergent meetings, but then, like recently, had to be passed on to other Lodges for their further progress in freemasonry. Following the Second World War, there blossomed for Masonry that many now see as the Golden Years of Freemasonry during which Lodge The Star of Australia was getting an average of two hundred and eighty Brethren at its Installations and one hundred and twenty in its regular meetings. Following the demolition of the old Grand Lodge building in Sydney, the Lodge moved to Hunters Hill in 1971  but sadly prior to the move, attendances at Lodge meetings were down and there were fewer candidates. at Hunters Hill, attendance was down to as few as fifteen to twenty members.. In August 1982, the Lodge moved to Hurlstone Park Masonic Centre where it has been our home for 32 years. Due to the closure of Hurlstone Park Masonic Centre on September 2014, the members temporarily hold their meeting at the Royal Arch Masonic Centre at Petersham. On the 23rd of May 2015, The Lodge was officially housed at the Castle Hill Masonic Centre, Castle Hill, under Masonic Region 2, District 25. Brief Lodge History